Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Junior ROCKIN RED shows huge heart in the derby community


I have had the pleasure of being Rockin' Red's coach for about 5 years. Such a wonderful girl with so much potential. Off the track she is shy and sweet and full of heart. When she skates she is strong and graceful and smart. I have always been so very proud of her.

I am touched when the kids I coach show up and support me when I skate. Even more touched when they bring me a sign. Last Saturday I bouted with Trouble Brewing on the banked track vs Tilted Thunder's (TTRB) Rolling Blackouts. It was an amazingly fun bout. You already know that. So when R'Red and her family showed up I was super excited to see them. With a sign (bonus points).

Most derby events have junior derby (or some charity) doing a 50/50 raffle. At the TTRB bout their juniors, the PEEPs, held one of those. The sales of raffle tickets was almost $500!

AND who do you think won but Rockin' Red's Family!!!
A Seattle Derby Brat WON the raffle for the Peeps junior derby! How cool is that?!

Do you know what is even cooler?? DO YOU!!??!!

Rockin' Red - being the amazing young lady she is - suggested her family donate all the winnings BACK TO THE PEEPS! That is right people! She gave back $234 to the Peeps! She could have kept it and bout clothes or skate stuff or games or make up or what ever but she didn't. She wanted to help them with their fundraising and support junior roller derby.

Rockin' Red is a great example of what I love about the Roller Derby Community.

Thank you Rockin' Red for being you.

Love your Mean Coach Betty







1 comment:

  1. These kids have hearts of gold. I love junior derby :-)

    ReplyDelete